Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Is In The Air!

Today is the first day of Spring! Happy Spring! I am so excited for Spring and Summer to be here and for school to be over and for Cade to arrive and the whole Summer I get to spend home with him :)
Today was soooo beautiful, as it has been all week. I had some studying to do and decided to do it outside. Though I am not sure the neighbors enjoyed it, I put on my bathing suit top (which BARELY fits anymore) and some shorts and sat in the sun. It was so nice and not too hot yet.
We have been working on our backyard and garden to get ready for Summer. We will have many visitors this Summer and we wanted to make a place outside that is enjoyable to be in. Also, we have always wanted to have a garden and now we can!
We started with the Barbeque (which is perfect and makes great chicken). This week while Chris' parents were here, they purchased a lovely set of patio furniture for us as a birthday and housewarming gift for Chris. Thank you Judy and Dan, we love them! Now we have a place to eat dinner outside all Summer. In addition, I had been lugging around a huge porch umbrella and stand from house to house, but never had a place to put them. Now it is on our back patio and is perfect for providing the shade we need.
The next project was to cover the fence. We have a chain link fence around the parameter of our backyard and last Summer it was fine because we had a wonderfully thick vine growing along it and it made it so that you had complete privacy. Our landlords decided to butcher it though and as a result, our yard was open for all to see. We did not like it and so we found (well Chris did) reed covers. Chris and his Dad covered most of the fence with them this week and it looks great! Now we again have privacy and are making progress. We only need to buy one more cover to finish one side of the fence. Yay!
Next we tackled the garden situation. We have in our yard, a pre-made garden box and we were planning to plant everything in there. Chris has been digging to remove the grass and was planning on going to a worm farm next week to fill it up with soil. We decided today, that perhaps we should just plant our veggies in pots since we already had some. Tonight we went to Lowe's and got tomatoes, cucumbers, thyme, oregano, basil, sage, 4 different kinds of hot peppers and watermelon. In the next couple of weeks we plan to also plant bell peppers and squash. I really enjoyed planting them tonight even though it hurt my back to bend over. We are now planning to plant the watermelon in the garden ox to see how it works. Maybe it will grow, maybe not. Who knows!
Eventually, I want to get a porch swing to put out there and next week I am going to plant some flowers. I wish I had all the time in the world to just be outside, get tan and enjoy the weather. But no. Alas, I must go back to school tomorrow and be able to identify, describe and list functions of almost all parts of the brain. Chris is flying to Palm Springs this Thursday for a friend's bachelor weekend, I have 2 tests and a short paper to write. I also have my next appointment on Friday. We have a busy week this week. Here are some photos of our yard so far. I took them at dusk so they may be dark. I will take some more when it is completed!

Happy Spring!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house looks great. I can't believe the landlord chopped the vines. You did a great job on the fence. I'm so glad you are in the house. It's a perfect home for a family!

The Plummers said...

We love our little house :) Soon we will have flowers and watermelon and pumpkins in the garden!