Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wonderful Women

So I attended my first La Leche League meeting this morning....something I have been meaning to do since I found out I was pregnant. La Leche League helps mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother. Many cities have their own local branch and hold monthly meetings and get-togethers to discuss issues and concerns, as well as, get to know and form friendships with other mothers.

My mom attended these meetings when we were young and found that it provided her not only with breastfeeding support, but also a group of women who lived a similar lifestyle as her. I found this today in the women of Chico LLL. These women seemed wonderful. They all co-sleep with their babies, many use reusable diapers, all breastfeed and not only that but believe in letting the baby breastfeed for as long as they want to! I am so happy. I have finally found a place in Chico where I feel comfortable with my beliefs and don't have to explain everything I plan to do and why I think it is best for myself and my baby. They get it. They do it too! No one judges, questions or disagrees. In fact the opposite! They are so supportive and being that they all have babies already, they have so much wisdom and advice to offer from their experiences. I feel at ease about something, finally.

The meetings are held once a month and I will be attending each and every month (well maybe not June). I feel very confident about breastfeeding when he arrives, but I know I will soon have many questions and concerns and I am so comforted to know I have people to turn to who will actually help and believe in me and my abilities.

I saw these articles and though I was already aware of these amazing facts about breast milk, thought I would share them because it is soooo amazing! Be amazed people :)

http://news.discovery.com/animals/breast-milk-changes-throughout-the-day.html

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20081102-16879.html

No comments: