Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Diaper Dilemma

So today I was sitting on the computer adding to our registry which has had to happen over a few days because it takes FOREVER! Not that it takes too long to decided, but the actual website takes sooo long to load. Grrrrr.... Anyway, today's major decision is which diapers to use. I know it may seem like a weird thing to be worried about but you see, I have always had my heart set on using cloth or reusable diapers. The problem lies in how to do it. This is completely my decision and though Chris supports anything I want to do, he is hesitant because as many of you know....I tend not to do laundry or clean the kitchen (or any of the house) in a timely fashion. It is not that I don't ever clean, it is just that sometimes I don't feel like it and I choose to do it later. Even though this is pretty annoying (mostly to Chris), it has not been a huge problem for us so far because we eventually finish the laundry and do the dishes. His (and my) concern is that that is not an option when we are talking about washing diapers. Diapers must be washed and dried everyday without fail or we will have a major problem. Will this happen? Who knows.

The other problem I am having is HOW to go about doing it. My mom used cloth diapers with all of us and I can remember changing Amy and Elizabeth when they were babies. At our house we simply had a small trash pail near the changing table. The yuckiness was rinsed of first by dunking the diaper in the toilet and then when the pail was full, the diapers were washed in the washer with scalding hot water. To the best of my knowledge, the pail did not stink and the diapers were always clean smelling. My mom used the plain white diapers that you had to fold and use those big diaper pins to hold the diaper on. I however have found in my research that now they have a bazillion types of reusable diapers and narrowing them down was a nightmare. I have done it though and added the chosen brand to the registry.

So I guess my question is what is the best system for us? I am thinking it would be best to do a load every night. I know this sounds like a lot of laundry, but I think it will reduce any smell that may otherwise accumulate from sitting diapers, AND it will get me into a routine that will ensure I actually do laundry! Oh! I forgot to say that for those of you who used cloth diapers and dunked them in the toilet, they now have an awesome tool that attach's to the water hose on your toilet and sprays the diapers, so no more dunking! Pretty cool. So needless to say, I have some more figuring out to do and if anyway with reusable diapering experience has any suggestions, please share! For those of you who think I am nuts and why not just use the regular disposable diapers? I have posted some facts I have learned in my research that I think you may find interesting. In addition to disposables taking years to breakdown in the landfills, it turns out that they are not all that great for babies either. I feel like this is a small way we as a family can do the best we can to make the earth a better place and take care of the health of our child.

That's all for now.

http://verybaby.com/health

4 comments:

Dana said...

where are you registering? i saw your target one, but there's nothing on it. go in and do it! it's sooooo fun! you just need to print out your registry code at target and then get the scan gun from customer service.

Lindee McTigue said...

Hey Stephanie. Lindee here. Aunt Lindee to Chris. Cade is such a perfect name. Love it. On to diapers...When I was thinking about baby diapers, I too really thought long and hard about it. I planned and carried through with cloth diapers with colorful velcro outer diapers, (can't remember what they were called), but was happy I did... cloth was not popular 19 years ago either! It seemed more loving in some way, but don't tell any other mother I said that. BUT on to the main message. MY GIRLFRIENDS PITCHED IN TO GET ME 3 MONTHS OF DIDY DIAPER SERVICE. THE service EVEN GAVE YOU THE SPECIAL ODOR FREE CONTAINER AND PICKED UP AND DELIVERED REGULARLY.
If you like this idea, I will be the first to contribute to your Chico equivalent diaper Service. I also won't get my feelings hurt if this isn't your thing...this is my first blog. Hope it communicates well. I've always thought you were extremely special and am very proud to have you in our family. We are lucky. Love, Aunt Lindee

Jennifer Pavone said...

I was going to say the same thing. . there is a "Cotton Club" in Chico that some of my friends have used. It amazing that mothers today can use a more environmentally friendly and economical method of keeping their children clean without having to wash all that nastiness out themselves! lol sounds great to me!

The Plummers said...

Thanks everyone!