Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Preeclampsia Nightmare

On Monday April 19, 2010 I was admitted to Feather River hospital in Paradise, CA for severe Preeclampsia. I had extremely high blood pressure, large amounts of protein in my urine and severe edema (swelling). These are the worst, but only a few symptoms that can be caused by this horrid disease. That night we were told all about Preeclampsia and were also told that the only way to cure it was to deliver the baby and placenta. Basically the placenta was killing me by releasing toxins and causing all these problems.
Because they thought they were going to have to deliver Cade that night, they gave me the steroids to develop his lungs quicker. At this point he was about 32 weeks old and though this was early to be born, it was better than being in the 20 weeks. We were at Feather River under observation for 2 days and on April 21, the doctor decided that I was getting worse and because they didn't have the facilities to treat a baby under 35 weeks, they needed to transfer us to a different hospital. We were told we were going to Mercy San Juan in Sacramento and I was taken by ambulance that afternoon. The ride was uneventful and I was accompanied by an EMT and a nurse from Feather River. The ride was about 2 hours and they took by BP and listened to Cade the whole way there. Chris drove the truck right behind us the whole time.
We arrived at Mercy early afternoon and settled in to our new home with no idea how long we would be there. At this point I still felt OK despite my high BP. Our first nurse (who I remember) was named Priscilla and was so nice. She made us feel right at home and our room was not too small.
From this point on for the next 2 weeks, I do not remember much of what happened. I began to get sicker and sicker everyday. I was on so many different drugs and painkillers that the whole things is groggy. We had many many nurses, but I barely remember them. Chris has to fill in the details for me when I cannot remember how or why something happened.
I didn't realize how sick I really was. Talking to Chris and my mom and sister now, I learned that they were all afraid for my life. It was by far the worst, most horrible time in our lives. I never wish for anyone to go through what I did. Everyday I begged the doctor to "take him out" because I knew that was the only way I would feel better.
When we reached 34 weeks, they decided to induce me. That was the worst process ever and took 4 days of placing a pill on my cervix every 4 hours and giving me pitocin (to start contractions) and Magnesium (to prevent seizures, but stops contractions) It was a nightmare. When the doctor FINALLY broke my water, Cade came within 3 hours. I elected to have an epidural due to the fact that I felt dead and had no energy to deal with the contractions. This was the best thing that could have happened to me after all my body had been through.

The second he was out of my body and more importantly, the god-awful placenta was out, I felt instantly better. It was amazing. He is amazing. I was able to kiss him and then they took him to the NICU. He was breathing and that was all that mattered.

I began my recovery that night and it is still in progress today. I had severe swelling and it took over a week for all of the fluid to leave my body. I entered the hospital with not a stretch mark and now have enormous purple ones all over my stomach and inner thighs from the swelling. I broke out in a itchy red rash all over my body and in my mouth from the toxins leaving my body. I still have really shaky hands from the Magnesium they had me on. My eyes were totally blood shot from pushing so hard for him to get out fast because his heart rate was dropping. I sometimes have a little trouble getting words out which is a result of the swelling around my brain. I have stitches from having to be cut to get him out faster and the worst part is that I have developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the whole thing.
I am dealing with it pretty well, but I am definitely traumatized by this time in my life and after I post this, would like to avoid talking about it for a long time. The few little snippets I can remember make me cry and I start shaking and panic. When Cade comes home and we get settled, I plan to find someone to talk to about it and hopefully deal with it in a healthy way.

Though I hate the pictures of me from that time, I will share them because I love you all. I am so grateful that I made it through this and that I and Cade are healthy. I am eternally grateful to Chris and my mom and Elizabeth for being there for me and for being so strong even though they were so worried about me. I am also so grateful for the wonderful nurses at Mercy hospital. Without them all, I may not have survived. And now, I close this chapter of my life and focus on our baby and my family.










2 comments:

Dana said...

Basically, you are the most amazing person I know. :) I am so, so, SO sorry that all of this happened to you guys. It's not fair at all. I'm so happy that you are all okay.

I know I'm not qualified, and didn't go through anything close to what you did, but if you ever want to talk about it with me, I had PTSD, too. No pressure, but I'm here if you want me!

I hope Cade comes home soon!

The Plummers said...

Thanks Dana :) I am sure I will tell you all about it at some point. I am still working on being able to deal with it without bursting into tears. We should just sit down, talk and cry for a while for being robbed of normal, healthy deliveries of our babies! Love you and thanks for being such a great friend.