Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Swollen To the Max

This last week or so has been the roughest so far for me. For starters I have still been dealing with what I can only conclude are allergies. I am constantly stuffed up, have a very red and sore throat, I cough constantly and my eyes sometimes feel like they are swelling shut. I have tried Benadryl, Clairitin, antibiotics, Neti pot, sleeping sitting up...you name it. I am just learning to live with it and hopefully it will eventually go away.

More importantly, my feet, ankles and legs are huge. The first time they swelled at all was March 18 and they have really not gone down since then. At first it was only my feet. Then my ankles got a little swollen and this week it has moved up my legs to above my knees. At all of my past appointments, my blood pressure has been great and there has been no protein in my urine which are the two concerns for Preeclampsia. They tell me it is just a uncomfortable side effect of being pregnant and to put them up when I can. This week though I couldn't take it anymore. With everything I am still trying to do in my life, it is nearly impossible for me to stay completely off my feet and therefore they swell. While I was at work on Thursday, it began to feel like I had tight rubber bands around my knees, causing my legs to be so swollen that they were hard and ached terribly. I could not feel my feet and they were cold and sweaty to the touch. I figured this was not a good sign. I went home and cried (very normal these days) and when I got up in the morning, I called my midwife. She called back and said to stay off my feet all weekend, drink lots of water, stay away from salt and protein and come in Monday to check my blood pressure again. So that is the plan.

My appointment is at 3:15 and I am both looking forward to it and dreading it. I think it is just part of the emotional roller coaster I am on right now. I have a feeling they will take me out of work until he is born. On the one hand that would be the greatest thing ever because I really can't handle it anymore and am starting to snap at the kids when it is not their fault. On the other hand it stresses me out because it means disability instead of a normal paycheck for WAY longer than we planned and it means laying on the couch with my feet above my heart for possibly 8 weeks. This is not easy for me. I have so much I need and want to be doing and the thought of laying on the couch is torture. Obviously, I want to do the best thing I can for both Cade and I, but it sucks! Not to mention, having to tell my boss she has to rearrange the already tight schedule 8 weeks sooner than she was planning....ugh.

My other fear is actually having preeclampsia. If I do there is always the possibility of having to have a C-section which honestly would be my nightmare. I just so pictured a happy, healthy, fun pregnancy and right now that is not how I feel. I am trying so hard to stay positive and think good thoughts, but it is really hard to do. I just cannot wait until he is out and we can start getting to know him and enjoying him and I can get back to feeling better physically.

Tomorrow Chris and I are going to have professional photos taken together and of the belly. Of course this week is the week that I feel swollen and white. Oh well. I'll post some when I get them. Tomorrow must be a better day.....

2 comments:

Dana said...

First of all...the kids totally deserve to be snapped at!

I hope you don't get put on bed rest, but if you do, I think you'll be fine. You'll be able to de-stress a bit and relax.

I'm sending good thoughts that you don't have preeclampsia! If you do end up with a C-section...it's really not that bad. But you're not going to, so don't worry about it :) (I know you will anyway!)

If you go on bed rest, Dora might magically show up at your house...

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, hang in there! It only gets better from here! I can't wait to meet Cade. I know you 2 are very nervous today but everything will be fine!!

Love Ya
Carla